Are you happy with the way you look? Here are 5 easy but absolutely essential tips on aging gracefully to keep on looking great!
We all want to live long and be healthy. If we are lucky, then life will allow us to do all we have planned and enjoy the journey. Luck works hand-in-hand with planning and hard work to help make our dreams come true. Along the way, we all need to remember to nurture our mind, body, and spirit. Do these five things each day to live your best life!
1. Play Mind Games
Don’t ever underestimate the power of the mind and its ability to heal the body! There is an important relationship between a strong mind and its effect on the aging process. It’s important to keep your mind sharp as you age. Your mind controls your brain and your brain controls your overall body function. This can give your brain the ability to do things like improving your quality of sleep by releasing melatonin and controlling discomfort or pain by releasing endorphins.
Believing strongly that you have an illness, despite the fact that you really don’t, can lead to the development of many of its physical symptoms (psychosomatic illness). Persistent of these symptoms can ultimately cause serious physical damage to your body after a while, even though you were never actually ill to begin with.
Here are some things you can do to keep your mind sharp:
- Read – Reading on a regular basis has been shown to stimulate the associative areas of the brain. People that enjoy reading generally appear more relaxed and often demonstrate higher levels of organization.
- Do Puzzles – Puzzles are one of the best ways to keep your cognitive and problem-solving skills sharp. There are a variety of options to test things like word-finding and spatial abilities.
- Play Card And Board Games – Card and board games can add an element of social interaction and friendly competition to your day. They are particularly useful for maintaining family dynamics and keeping in touch with friends. People who play routinely with others are less likely to isolate themselves, which can be important if you are elderly.
- Avoid Medications That Have A Sedative Effect – Many medications can be sedating on their own or in combination with other others. A medication that is even mildly sedating can have a detrimental effect on your daily overall performance. Do not stop any medications without checking with your healthcare provider.
- Eat A Healthy Diet – Your brain needs the right fuel to function at its best. You truly are what you eat. A poor diet can lead to clogging the arteries that bring blood to your brain.
- Avoid Cigarette Smoking, Alcohol. And Recreational Drugs – These substances have the potential to do irreversible damage to your brain and overall health. If you must drink alcohol then keep your consumption to a minimum.
For more information see Improve Memory Loss – Supercharge Your Mind!
2. Be Optimistic
Did you ever hear the expression “You’re only as old as you feel”? Everyone knows someone that seems amazingly young for their age. It’s easy to feel good in the early part of your life but having a positive outlook as you age will help you overcome many of the obstacles that can significantly decrease your quality of life and the enjoyment that goes with it.
Anxiety can cause a feeling of panic and make it difficult for you to remain optimistic. Chronic depression can accelerate the aging process by lowering your immune system. If your mental health issues are preventing you from thinking positively then consider seeing a counselor or other healthcare professional. See How To Deal With Depression Alone – A Rejuvenating Self-Help Guide.
I have seen people in the same age group or with the same illness do better than others, simply because they have a positive mental attitude and believe in the power of positive thinking. Conversely, almost any illness is made worse by negative thoughts or counterproductive beliefs.
You can develop your optimistic skills by being:
- Patient – Learning to take life one day at a time.
- Observant – Finding something good in everything you do.
- Thoughtful – Having at least one positive thought every day.
- Selective – Avoiding the company of people with a generally negative attitude.
- Smart – Thinking in terms of solutions to problems, not obstacles.
- Accepting – Refusing to dwell on past mistakes and learning to accept what cannot be changed.
- Grateful – Realizing that aging is a natural part of life and every day is precious.
Optimism has been well studied and implemented for hundreds of years. Most children are naturally optimistic and then gradually learn to expect disappointment in life as they become adults. At that point, a good day can be thought of as having fewer negative experiences than anticipated. Learning, as adults, how to be optimistic again can make a life a lot better as we continue to get older.
3. Embrace Spirituality
The mind cannot heal the body without a strong spirituality and belief in yourself. Spirituality allows you to discover and develop your own special abilities. It is one of the absolutely essential practices because it adds meaning to life and balance to the aging process. People that are spiritually oriented typically adjust to the various challenges of getting older better than those that take a purely pragmatic approach to life.
Spirituality can be found and practiced in many ways, including:
- Worshiping A Supreme Deity Or “God” – Religion is one of the most popular forms of spirituality. Any form of worship that adds positive meaning to your life is a good choice.
- Meditation – Meditation is a great way to relax and reflect on what is really most important in your life. It can allow you to expand your spirituality to all facets of your being.
- Curative Practices, Like Yoga And Tai Chi – These ancient practices can accelerate the healing process by synchronizing mind and body.
- Communing With Nature – Communing with nature in all its various forms is one of the most basic approaches to becoming spiritual. No matter where you live in the world you can find natural beauty to inspire and motivate you.
- Spirit Animals – Many people find a spiritual connection with an animal that shares their inner strength and personality, which guides them along their life journey.
For more information see Mind Relaxation Techniques – A Healthy Escape From Reality.
4. Treat Your Body Right
You only have one body so make it your most precious possession. A healthy body can age much better than one that has been neglected and rundown. It’s never too late to take care of your body, no matter how old you are. There are many ways to rejuvenate yourself by addressing problems that may have occurred over the years.
Here are some things you can do to keep your body in tip-top condition:
- Eat Smart – Eat a healthy diet, rich in vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. Avoid excess sugars and fatty foods. Read food ingredient labels to avoid harmful food additives. See Common Harmful Food Additives To Avoid – Surprising Info! Try not to overeat. It can be better to leave the table a little healthy.
- Sleep Well – Plan to get at least 8 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. Getting adequate sleep is essential for keeping yourself young and can actually slow down the aging process.
- Exercise Regularly – Keep physically fit by doing a combination of aerobics and weight training. Exercising to maintain or improve your posture is important too.
- Watch Your Weight – Monitor your weight and keep your BMI (Body Mass Index = weight divided by height squared). See Fast Weight Loss Exercises – 5 Easy Ways To Lose Fat Quickly!
- Get routine checkups – See a qualified healthcare provider for routine visits. The older you get the more important this generally becomes. If you are not feeling well then be sure to make an appointment to have your symptoms properly evaluated.
For additional tips on how to treat your body right see Preventive Health Care Benefits You Enormously – 10 Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life! and Telomere Shortening And Aging.
5. Look And Feel The Part
Your overall appearance and mental attitude work well together to allow you to put your best foot forward. Self-confidence can also go a long way in determining how you are seen by others. To maintain your “image credibility” you should aim to look young for someone in your age group. When you look and feel the part then you will be at your youthful best.
Here are some guidelines to help you look and feel your youthful best:
- Maintain Good Personal Hygiene – Good personal hygiene is one of the first things someone notices in their first impression of you. Improving your hygiene can change someone’s opinion of your age and vitality. Poor hygiene can also lead to premature aging and a variety of health issues. If your teeth are stained then consider whitening them. See Best Way To Whiten Teeth From Home – Try This For The Brightest Smile!
- Dress To Impress – Selecting the right clothing can enhance your natural beauty. Problem areas like neck wrinkles and flabby arms can be concealed with things like sweaters and long-sleeved shirts. With a little practice and listening to the feedback of others, you will learn what attire makes you appear younger. Consider retaining the services of a clothing consultant.
- Get Help From Others And Embrace Technology – There are a wide variety of anti-aging and rejuvenation products to improve almost every aspect of your physical appearance. Here are some basic ideas to get you started:
- Skin – Use sunblock to avoid ultraviolet light exposure (see Protect Skin From The Sun Naturally – Stay Young Looking!). Eat foods rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Restore collagen with hyaluronic supplements. Remove spider veins, varicose veins, and aging spots. Consider laser treatments and other procedures to remove blemishes, wrinkles, and resurface the skin. For more info on how to rejuvenate your skin see Best Non Surgical Skin Tightening Procedures – Have Awesome Looking Skin! and Squalane Oil Skin Benefits – For A Fabulous Face!
- Face – Use makeup appropriately. Get a facial massage. micro-dermabrasion, acid peel, and face masks (see What’s The Best Magnetic Face Mask? The Answer May Surprise You!). Don’t forget about red light therapy. See Red Light Health Benefits – The New Fountain Of Youth! Consider a facelift (rhytidectomy) or nose-job (rhinoplasty).
- Teeth – Fix crooked, chipped, or broken teeth and get whitening treatments. Avoid foods and beverages that darken and stain teeth such as coffee, tea, dark soda, red sauce, and balsamic vinegar.
- Hair – Get your hair re-styled, colored, or highlighted.
- Hands – Get a manicure. Use nail polish. Wear gloves. Use an anti-wrinkle cream, hydrating agent, or exfoliate.
- Breasts – Select a bra that provides more support and lift. Consider breast implants for augmentation or a breast reduction.
- Belly – Exercise to tighten abdominal muscles and reduce fat. Consider a tummy tuck or liposuction.
- Feet – Get a pedicure. Treat nail fungus. Consider seeing a podiatrist to fix remove corns, hammer-toes, and correct bunion deformities (bunionectomy).
- Make New Friends – Making new friends can improve your social schedule and keep you busier doing the things you like to do. People that are homeless can appear to be more youthful.
- Hang Out With A Younger Crowd – Being in a group of people that are younger than you is another way to appear young for your age. Don’t be afraid to have a drink or two if your healthcare provider says it’s ok, but be careful not to overdo it. See What Is The Best Way To Prevent A Hangover? – Do This And Skip The Regrets! This can backfire on you so be careful to select people who are a natural fit for your age and social situation.
- Redecorate Your Living Environment – Your home is where you are likely to spend a good deal of your time and it should represent who you are or want to be. Redecorating your home can make you feel and appear younger to others. Lighter colors and sunnier spaces have been shown to make people feel younger. Read home decorating magazines or consider consulting an interior decorator to update your walls, floors, and furniture. If you own your home then you may want to invest in interior remodeling, landscaping, and even the addition of a swimming pool or hot tub.
- Get A “Younger-Looking” Car – Trading in your car for a newer or sportier model can make people underestimate your age or make you appear younger at heart. Choose a car that has a body style as well as an interior and exterior color combination that says who you are and makes others take notice in a positive way. Fashion magazines can provide you with good ideas of car choices for various age groups.
- Plan A “Youthful Getaway” – There is nothing like visiting or revisiting the places that invigorate you and make life really worth living. People that vacation a lot are generally considered younger than those that stay at home. Plan frequent getaways within your budget with your family, friends, or travel agent.
Here is an excellent video by Dominique Sachse on 10 cost-effective natural anti-aging secrets:
Everyone has their own way of dealing with the aging process as we go through life. What works best for you will be a function of things like your age, health, body, mindset, cultural background, and personality. Furthermore, your individual approach should be a constantly evolving work in progress.
In addition to all the practical considerations, it is important to always be aware of the key underlying elements that are essential to aging well. Approach life with a positive and optimistic attitude whenever possible. Remember, aging is not just a physical phenomenon. We all need to rely on the power, resources, and proper balance of our mind, body, and spirit.
As we age we all need to age gracefully. The various twists and turns of life can create challenges that take their toll on your quality of living. Meeting these challenges head-on with a solid plan and support system will allow you to continue living your best life.
Tell Us What You Think
Please let us know what’s on your mind in the comment section, or if I can help you with anything.
- Do you have any additional tips or suggestions?
- What are you currently doing to age gracefully?
- Any experiences to share and how are they helpful?